Family Sponsorship

Relatives of a Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents. Canadians or Permanent Residents can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if they are at least 18 years old and a:

  • Canadian citizen or

  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

  • permanent resident of Canada

Who can apply to sponsor a Parents and  Grandparents?

Canadians or Permanent Residents can become a sponsor if they are:

  • at least 18 years old

  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:

    • Canadian citizen living outside Canada, must show that they plan to live in Canada when their sponsored relative(s) become(s) a permanent resident.

    • Canadians or Permanent Residents can’t sponsor someone if she/he is a permanent resident living outside Canada.

  • able to prove that she/he is not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;

  • can provide for the basic needs of any person she/he is sponsoring (and in some limited situations, that she/he meets the low-income cut-off).

There is no low income cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships, unless a dependent child also has one or more dependent children of their own.

If a dependent child who is being sponsor has one or more dependent children of their own, sponsor must include a Financial Evaluation with her/his application.


Who can’t become a sponsor?

You can’t be a sponsor if you:

  • have failed to pay:

    • an immigration loan

    • a performance bond

    • family support payments

  • have failed to provide for the basic needs of a previously-sponsored relative who received social assistance

  • are under a removal order

  • are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison

  • receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability

  • are still going through the process of bankruptcy (undischarged bankruptcy)

  • have already applied to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child and a decision on your application hasn’t been made yet

  • were convicted of a violent or sexual offence, or an offence that caused bodily harm to a relative—or you attempted or threatened to commit any of these offences

Sponsor your parents and grand parents

Canadian Citizen or Permanent Residents may be able to sponsor their parents and grandparents to become a permanent resident if the sponsor is at least 18 years old and a:

  • Canadian citizen or

  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or

  • permanent resident of Canada

If they sponsor their parents and grandparents to come to Canada as a permanent resident, Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents must:

  • Support them financially. 

  • make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government

  • provide for own essential needs and those of parents and grandparents and their dependants

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon




The information made available in this website in any form is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon or used as such. You should not take or fail to take any action based on this information without obtaining the advice of professional legal counsel.



While L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services uses reasonable efforts to include accurate and up-to-date information in this website, the corporation does not represent, warrant, or promise that such information is or remains available, accurate, complete, or up-to-date. The information is current as of the date of first publication but may no longer be accurate due to the passage of time or subsequent changes in the law.



Attendance at or viewing of this website does not constitute a counselor-client relationship between you and L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services. Persons do not become clients of L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services unless and until the Corporation agrees to act for the person and such representation is confirmed in a retainer agreement or letter in accordance with L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services’s policies.

© 2018 L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services. All rights reserved.