top of page
Extend your Stay in Canada as a Temporary Resident Holder (Visitor, Student or Worker)

If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you must apply to do so. It is critical and very important to check your temporary resident status to make sure you apply before the expiry date.

This will be on your visitor, study permit or work permit, the stamp in your passport or, if you do not have a stamp in your passport, six (6) months from the day you entered Canada. You should apply 30 days before your status expires to:

  • extend your visitor, student or work status,

  • change your permit type (for example, from a study permit to a work permit) or

  • change your permit condition (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and you want to change jobs).

Implied Status

If you apply to extend your permit, and your visitor visa expires while you are waiting for a decision, you still have temporary resident (visitor) status. This is known as implied status.

bottom of page