top of page
Criminal Rehabilitation

Canada turns away travelers from all over the world at the border every single day due to criminal inadmissibility based on prior criminal convictions.

There are a wide range of criminal offenses that can prevent your entry into Canada.

If you were convicted of or committed a criminal offence outside Canada, you may overcome this criminal inadmissibility
•       by applying for rehabilitation, or
•       you may be deemed to have been rehabilitated if at least ten years have passed since you completed the sentence imposed upon you, or since you committed the offence, if the offence is one that would, in Canada, be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than ten years.


If the offence is one that would, in Canada, be prosecuted summarily, and if you were convicted for two (2) or more such offences, the period for rehabilitation is at least five (5) years after the sentences imposed were served or are to be served.

If your criminal record includes a hybrid or indictable crime committed anywhere outside Canada, it is likely that you will be deemed “criminally inadmissible” to Canada.

Which application process is most effective will depend on the crime the person was convicted of, and the amount of time that has passed since the sentence was completed.

Temporary Resident Permits, Criminal Rehabilitation, and Deemed Rehabilitation are all options for resolved criminal inadmissibility and regaining the ability to enter Canada.

Which solution is most appropriate will depend on the amount of time that has passed since the completion of the sentence for the conviction in question.  “Completion of the sentence” includes the completion of all jail time, probation, and the payment of any fines.

The countdown towards the 5 years does not begin until the last aspect of the sentence is completed.

L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services provides the legal advice to clients with their application for rehabilitation in order to overcome the inadmissibility and be able to visit Canada.

bottom of page