Caregiver Program

Options for Permanent Residence

There are three ways to apply for permanent residence, based on Canadian work experience, as a caregiver.

If you the applicant is eligible, she/he can use any of these options to apply.


Caring for Children Program

The applicant can apply through the Caring for Children class if she/he has provided full-time child care in a home in Canada for at least two years.

The applicant must have at least 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada as a home child care provider in the four years (48 months) before you apply.

  • full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week

  • you can have breaks in employment (for example, periods where you were not employed, sick leave, parental leave)

  • any work experience you had while you were a full-time student does not count

As a home child care provider, your work must match the description in Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) Group 4411.

  • foster parents are not eligible

  • the applicant must show that her/his performed the duties in the job description, including most of the main duties

The applicant must have cared for children under the age of 18, in her/his own home or in the employer’s home. The applicant do not need to have lived in the employer’s home to qualify

Additionally, the applicant must have to meet additional abilities in:



  • prove ability in English or French for speaking, reading, listening and writing

  • take a language test from an approved agency,

  • meet the minimum language levels of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 (use the English test results to find the CLB level), and

  • include the original language test results when apply. The language test results must be less than two years old on the day you submit and your application


The applicant must have a completed:

  • Canadian post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate of at least one year


  • foreign degree, diploma or certificate and

  • an original Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

    • from an organization we have approved

    • that shows your education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma, certificate of at least one year.



Some individuals are not admissible to Canada. This means they are not allowed to come into the Country. Many things can make an individual inadmissible, such as being involved in:

  • criminal activity

  • human rights violations

  • organized crime

Individuals can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.

If an individual is not admissible to Canada, she/he should not apply through this program.