Caregiver Program

Options for Permanent Residence

There are three ways to apply for permanent residence, based on Canadian work experience, as a caregiver.

If you the applicant is eligible, she/he can use any of these options to apply.

Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class

The applicant can apply through the Caring for People with High Medical Needs class if the applicant has been working in Canada for at least two years as a:

  • registered or licensed practical nurse

  • nurse aid or orderly

  • home support worker

The applicant must have at least 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada in the four years (48 months) before apply.

The applicant experience must be in one of these jobs listed in the Canadian National Occupational Classification:

  • Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (3012)

  • Licensed practical nurses (3233)

  • Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (3413)

  • Home support workers and related occupations (4412)

    • Only Home support workers are eligible under 4412. Housekeepers are not eligible.

For this work experience:

  • full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week

  • breaks in employment are allowed (for example, periods where she/he was not employed, sick leave, parental leave)

  • must show that the job matched the NOC job description and she/he must have done most of the main duties.

If the applicant got the work experience in Canada as a registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse (NOC 3012) or as a licensed practical nurse (NOC 3233), the applicant must:

  • prove that the applicant is licensed to practice in Canada

  • provide proof that she/he is registered with the regulatory body, as required, in her/his province or territory at the time she/he applies

Employment requirement:

The applicant must prove that she/he meet the requirements of the job she/he is claiming work experience for. This includes:

  • education

  • training

  • or other qualifications as set out in the NOC job description.



You must prove your ability in English or French for speaking, reading, listening and writing. We use the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) system to assess your skills.

  • take a language test from an agency we have approved

  • meet minimum language levels for your job (use your test results to find your CLB level):

    • if you got your work experience in Canada as a registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse (NOC 3012), you must meet minimum CLB 7 in either English or French for all four language abilities.

    • if you got your work experience in Canada in any other eligible job (NOC 3233, NOC 3413 or NOC 4412), you must meet minimum CLB 5 in either English or French for all four language abilities

  • include the original language test results when you apply

    • your results must be less than two years old on the day we get your application.

You will not have another chance to prove your language abilities. We will only use the test results that you provide when you apply to assess you.



You must have a completed:

  • Canadian post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate of at least one year

  • foreign degree, diploma or certificate and

  • original Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

    • from an organization we have approved

    • that shows your education is equal to a completed Canadian post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate of at least one year.

You must provide proof that you meet the minimum education requirement when you apply.



Some people not admissible to Canada. This means they are not allowed to come here. Many things can make you inadmissible, such as being involved in:

  • criminal activity,

  • human rights violations or

  • organized crime.

You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.

If you are not admissible to Canada, you should not apply through this program.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon




The information made available in this website in any form is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon or used as such. You should not take or fail to take any action based on this information without obtaining the advice of professional legal counsel.



While L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services uses reasonable efforts to include accurate and up-to-date information in this website, the corporation does not represent, warrant, or promise that such information is or remains available, accurate, complete, or up-to-date. The information is current as of the date of first publication but may no longer be accurate due to the passage of time or subsequent changes in the law.



Attendance at or viewing of this website does not constitute a counselor-client relationship between you and L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services. Persons do not become clients of L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services unless and until the Corporation agrees to act for the person and such representation is confirmed in a retainer agreement or letter in accordance with L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services’s policies.

© 2018 L.I.S. Immigration Professional Services. All rights reserved.